How to Lay Down Artificial Grass in Dubai: Step-by-Step Guide
Ever thought about giving your lawn a makeover? Artificial grass might just be the solution you’ve been looking for! Not only does it look great year-round, but it also comes with a plethora of benefits. But how to Lay Down Artificial Grass in the adverse climate in Dubai, UAE region?
Remember those times when your grass got yellow patches during the summers, or you spent hours mowing it? What if there was a solution that gave you a lush green lawn without all that hassle?
Materials and Tools Needed
Before you start transforming your lawn, let’s get our tools and materials in order.
List of materials:
- Artificial grass rolls
- Sharp sand or crushed stone
- Weed membrane
- Adhesive and seaming tape
List of tools:
- Turf cutter or spade
- Landscaping Rake
- Box cutter
- Carpet kicker
- Power broom or bristle broom aka turf infill
- Knife or scissors
- Straight edge or levelling tool aka edge tool
- Timber Surround
Steps to Lay Down Artificial Grass
Step 1: Prepare the Ground
Good preparation is the key!
Removing old grass:
Start by removing the old grass. Use a turf cutter or spade to slice beneath the turf, rolling it up as you go.
Leveling the ground:
Once the old grass is gone, level the soil. You might need to dig up the top 2-3 inches and then add 2-3 inches of sharp sand or crushed stone.
Step 2: Lay the Foundation
Lay down a weed membrane to prevent those pesky weeds from poking through. Secure it around the edges.
Step 3: Roll Out the Artificial Turf
Now comes the fun part! Roll out the artificial turf, ensuring there are no creases. Remember to let it settle for a couple of hours.
Step 4: Secure and Join Seams
Cut the excess turf using a knife. For larger areas, you might need to join two pieces of grass. Use adhesive and joining artificial grass tape to secure the seams.
Step 5: Fill and Brush the Grass
Spread a layer of sharp sand to weigh the grass down and then brush it with a stiff broom or bristle broom.
Laying Artificial Grass on Concrete
Prepping the Concrete for Grass Installation in Dubai
Before you even roll out that turf, there’s some groundwork (pun intended!) to be done.
Cleaning and Assessing the Surface
Your concrete surface needs to be squeaky clean. Remove any debris, and give it a thorough washing. Assess the surface for any imperfections that could affect the laying process.
Repairing Cracks and Surface Imperfections
Hairline cracks? Bigger gaps? Seal them with a concrete patching compound. You want a smooth surface to ensure a flawless finish.
Ensuring Proper Drainage
The last thing you want is water pooling on your newly laid grass. If your concrete doesn’t slope, consider drilling drainage holes.
Materials and Tools Essential for the Task
You wouldn’t dive into a pool without water, and you shouldn’t start this project without the right tools and materials.
- The Right Kind of Artificial Grass for Concrete
- Adhesives and Bonding Agents
- Additional Tools to Have at Hand
A Step-by-Step Guide to Laying Artificial Grass on Concrete
Let’s get down to the nitty-gritty!
- Roll Out and Measure the Turf
- Cutting and Adjusting to Fit
- Applying Adhesive and Laying the Grass
- Securing the Edges and Joining Seams
- Like everything, your new green space needs a little TLC.
- Cleaning and Debris Removal
- Periodic Brushing and Rinsing
- Addressing Potential Issues
Advantages and Challenges of Artificial Grass on Concrete Dubai
Every rose has its thorn, and while artificial grass on concrete has many advantages, it comes with its set of challenges.
Why It’s a Brilliant Choice
No mud, less maintenance, and year-round greenery. Need we say more?
Things to Watch Out For
Ensure proper drainage, and remember, it can get hot in direct sunlight. Plan accordingly.
Laying Artificial Grass on Concrete: The Big Takeaways
A green oasis without the mud and maintenance? It’s possible with artificial grass on concrete.
Expert Tips and Tricks
Always opt for quality over cost. In the long run, premium artificial turf pays off with its durability and realistic look.
Laying Artificial Grass on Sand
If you want to know about how to put artificial turf on Sand in Dubai, see this post.
Guide to Laying Artificial Grass on Decking
Why Lay Artificial Grass on Decking?
Decking, in itself, offers a beautiful extension to your living space. Couple that with artificial grass, and you’ve got a match made in heaven.
- Boosting Aesthetics and Functionality
- Sustainability and Water Conservation
- Safety and Comfort Aspects
The Fundamentals of Decking in Dubai
Before you jump into the installation, it’s crucial to understand your solid base – the decking.
Different Types of Decking
From classic wood to modern composites, the choice of decking materials is vast. Each type has its unique characteristics and suitability for artificial grass installation.
Pros and Cons of Decking Types
Wood might offer a rustic charm but can be high maintenance. On the flip side, composites may be more durable but can come with a heftier price tag.
Step-by-Step Installation Guide
Now, for the most awaited section – the actual laying of artificial grass on decking.
- Assessing and Prepping the Decking: Start by inspecting your decking for any repairs. Ensure that it’s clean, dry, and free from any algae or moss.
- Selecting the Right Synthetic Grass: Type Opt for UV-resistant and high-density grass. The weight and quality will play a pivotal role in how it settles on the decking.
- Laying Down the Protective Underlay: A protective underlay shields against wear and tear while offering added cushioning. Spread it evenly, ensuring no bubbles or folds.
- Attaching and Securing the Grass: Unroll the grass on top of the underlay, trim the edges, and secure using adhesive or tacks.
Common Mistakes to Avoid
- Not Testing the Grass for UV Stability
- UV rays can fade your grass. Always opt for UV-tested varieties.
- Overlooking Drainage
- Water-logging can damage both the grass and decking. Ensure proper drainage channels or drill holes if necessary.
- Skimping on Quality Materials
- Invest in quality. It might seem pricier initially, but it pays off in durability and appearance.
Laying Artificial Grass on Decking Dubai: Real-Life Experiences
I remember laying synthetic turf on my old, worn-out decking. The transformation was nothing short of magical. Not only did it enhance my outdoor space, but it also became the kids’ favorite spot!
The Financial Side: Costs and ROI
While the initial outlay might seem hefty, the returns, both in terms of aesthetics and property value, are impressive.
Upfront Costs Vs. Long-Term Savings
You might spend more upfront, but the savings in water bills and decking maintenance quickly make up for it.
Enhancing Property Value
A well-maintained outdoor space can add significant value to your property. It’s an investment that pays dividends when you decide to sell.
Sustainability and Environmental Impact
Artificial grass decking isn’t just about looks. It also plays a role in environmental conservation.
Recyclability and Biodegradability
Many modern fake turfs are recyclable. This means, once they’ve served their purpose, they can be repurposed, reducing landfill waste.
Did you know? Producing fake turf consumes less energy than maintaining natural grass over the same lifespan.
Laying Artificial Grass on Slabs
Slabs, or concrete pavers, serve as an ideal base for artificial grass due to their durability and even surface.
Steps for Installation on Slabs in Dubai
- Clean the Slab Surface: Begin by ensuring the slabs are clean. Remove any debris, weeds, or moss. A power washer can be useful in achieving a thoroughly clean surface.
- Apply Weed barrier: Although slabs inhibit weed growth, it’s still good practice to lay down a weed barrier. This prevents any potential weeds from poking through your fake turf.
- Opt for a Shock-absorbent: Underlay While not mandatory, using an underlay can provide additional cushioning, especially if children play on the area.
- Roll Out the Artificial Grass: Lay out the grass over the slabs. Ensure it sits well, and there are no ripples or bubbles.
- Cut and Trim: Using a sharp utility knife, trim the grass to fit the area perfectly. Ensure that edges align well with the slab boundaries.
- Adhere the Grass: Use an outdoor adhesive to stick the fake turf onto the slabs. Apply the adhesive liberally, ensuring good contact, especially at the edges.
- Add Finishing Touches: Brush the artificial lawn to give it a natural look. You can also sprinkle silica sand to weigh it down and keep the artificial grass lawn blades upright.
The fusion of artificial grass with decking offers a blend of functionality, aesthetics, and sustainability. Whether you’re revamping your space or setting up a new one, this guide arms you with all the knowledge to create that perfect outdoor oasis.
Laying down artificial grass is a simple process that offers wonderful results. With minimal maintenance, you can enjoy a beautiful lawn that lasts for years. Ready to make the switch?
- How long does artificial grass last?
- With proper care, it can last up to 10-15 years.
- Can I install artificial grass on concrete?
- Yes, but ensure proper drainage.
- Is artificial grass pet-friendly?
- Absolutely! Just clean up after your pets as you normally would.
- Does artificial grass fade in the sun?
- High-quality artificial grass is UV resistant and won’t fade easily.
- How often should I brush my artificial grass?
- Once a week is usually enough to keep it looking fresh.
- Can I DIY the installation?
- While it’s possible, hiring a professional installer like green grass store in dubai ensures a seamless and durable finish.
Transforming a drab concrete space into a lush green paradise is not only possible but also simpler than you might think. With the right tools, materials, and a bit of elbow grease, you can enjoy the beauty of a lawn without the mud and maintenance.